All of my jobs had most if not all of these signs. The thing was, all the companies in my profession were doing many of these things and if I wanted to eat there really was no choice. It’s one reason I’m glad to be retired and no longer in need these draconian conditions to survive. Just the bullet points are provided below. See this article for the details. Most of these things can be ascertained in the employee handbook. If they won’t provide one pre-employment then walk away immediately.
1. No moon-lighting policy.
2. Won’t provide references when you leave.
3. Progressive discipline.
4. Payroll deductions.
5. Dictated hours.
6. Managers control internal transfers.
7. Formal performance management.
8. No casual time.
9. Identifying with pay grades.
10. Bad treatment in the interview.